Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Cochins-Ancestor Not A Chicken?

 I'm sure it's because of my love for the Cochin breed in part, but this information just amazes me. I've had chickens all my life, and I've never known any breed to be like true, large fowl Cochins. 

Read These Thoughts Robert Anderson of Blue Hour Poultry

Their calm and intelligent demeanor, the regal but friendly way they have about them, and other qualities that really aren't true to the average chicken. 

They learn and know their names, and other phrases like "time to go home," memorize routines, and people's faces and voices, as well as their familial ways..like a herd of mini elephants lol. Samson watches the door and windows for me..so funny. 

Then hens are quiet and never cackle after laying, which I think is smart. Why would you announce to every predator in the neighborhood that it's a great time to come and eat your young? Most breeds do though lol. 



Some theorize that Cochins are actually descendants of the long-gone Dodo, or another ancestor of the past. I would have to agree.

Cheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment

Preserving Special Flowers

  If you enjoy drying flowers for crafts and decor, or if the flowers are very special to you,  try wise dry or something similar. These peo...