Thursday, August 31, 2023

Hydrangea Trees Gone Wrong!

 




Above are some of the Hydrangea trees(standards) that I've been training for around 1 1/2 yr.s. I have alot more in the works. I'm specializing in Hydrangeas, as you all know, and tree forms are a big part of that. They have such a classic, beautiful look about them in pots and in the ground. Underplanted with petunias, Ivy and other things really sets them off! Flank an entrance,  line your driveway, or use as a specimen! 
Yesterday I saw some Hydrangea trees at Lowes. All but maybe three of them were in a sad and sorry state. And on top of it, they were $95 each, and not marked down! 
Here's how they looked:





Now I'm not hating on Lowes, I've gotten many plants there, but guys....this is pitiful! 

The flowers and limbs were flopped down, almost breaking off, and some were burned up and dead looking. There was only 2-3 that looked "ok" but still not $95 worth of OK. Those were quick fire and pinky winky, which both have strong stems and more open airy blooms. I produce Tardiva which also has those qualities.  I guess my point is to consider your local, small growers and nurseries. Most likely, the plants will be in a much better state, and grown stronger and healthier! I should have some available next year, and I'd never offer anything in the sad state you see above! 

Cheryl



No comments:

Post a Comment

Preserving Special Flowers

  If you enjoy drying flowers for crafts and decor, or if the flowers are very special to you,  try wise dry or something similar. These peo...