Tuesday, April 20, 2021

LF Cochins Size

 

One thing that I found out first hand years ago, and also hear quite often in person and online, is that the size of Standard Cochins has been diminishing.
That's a shame, and it's due to breeding harry-scary, not making careful selections or following the standard or a deliberate breeding program. 
Every year I will select for many traits, but size will be an important one. 
Hatcheries are mostly in the business of pumping out layers and meat birds as quickly as possible and in large numbers. 
I have no problem with hybrid layers or meat birds being produced that way, but the rare and heritage breeds are suffering in that breeding situation.
Keep that in mind when deciding to obtain birds from a hatchery, or from a private breeder. 

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Driveway Stand Will Be Set Up!

 Hi all! How's Spring treating you so far? I've been busy here sowing seeds, growing, transplanting, pruning and more. I'm also ...