Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Hatching Silkies

 


I just wanted to quickly share a tip that I finally figured out when hatching Silkies. They are more of a fragile and somewhat delicate breed, and often hatch rates aren't great. 
I remember seeing a post by someone quite a while back about humidity. They said that if your humidity is too high you can drown Silkie chicks in the shell.
It was by accident that I found out this may be true..
My incubator humidity had dropped from the recommended 80% to around 55%, and the silkie chicks hatched great despite..clean as a whistle!
So my last hatch I purposely left the humidy lower and again they hatched well. I have another small hatch due this weekend and I'm going to do the same and see how it goes, but I'm pretty convinced at this point that lower humidity at hatch is much better for silkies. 
Just wanted to pass the info along I'm case it helps someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preserving Special Flowers

  If you enjoy drying flowers for crafts and decor, or if the flowers are very special to you,  try wise dry or something similar. These peo...