Friday, September 18, 2020

If I Sell You Chicks or Eggs...



So, I wanted to mention something that I feel is important, and would like for anyone who's considering buying eggs or chicks from me, to read please.

Most people, including myself in the past, buy chicks or fertile eggs from someone having the expectation that they will hatch and or raise chickens that are as good as that breeder's best birds.

It doesn't always work that way.

It's said that it takes an investment of anywhere from 3-5 years for a breeder to establish a line of their own. That's if they are utilizing an actual breeding program, and select each year's keepers carefully. By year three and beyond, pretty consistent results should be able to be expected.
Even then, weird genes can still pop up, and out of 100 chicks hatched, there will always be the top 5-10 that are exceptional. The rest may be good, but not the best..and if they can help it, breeders will never sell you their best! They need them to continue their own line.

I've purchased hatching eggs for $80-$100, and have only hatched a few, and some of them had faults, disqualifications, or were only mediocre.

 Please be aware of the risk and willing to take it. 

 Many breeders will not sell eggs or day old chicks anymore because of these things, as well as not wanting to unknowingly sell their best bird that season. But for many, they will only sell started juveniles so they and you as well, know more about what you're getting.

With some of my breeds I will grow the majority out for several months before selling any. With some I may sell eggs or chicks if I've hatched all I need and still have alot of extra eggs, but I can't and won't guarantee what you will hatch or how the chicks will turn out.
I'd have to lie to do so.
Chicks may grow out to be amazing, or some fault could show up down the line. I have no idea and neither does anyone else who sells eggs or chicks, if they'd admit it lol.
Also, if fertility is low, I won't sell eggs. I don't want anyone wasting their money if I can help it.

If you understand these issues and the risks, I'd be happy to work with you!

Cheryl



No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 First Day of Spring

 Hope you all are out starting to plant and do clean up, or whatever it is that you may be doing this Spring! Start a new bed, sow seeds of ...